Remember that little post awhile back with the cutting out of several patterns but not actually making a whole lot? Well, today that came in handy because I wanted to make a shirt with one of the several patterns I bought awhile back and incorporate this dress I got at the swap because I liked the pattern, and the pieces were all ready to go! I used Simplicity 3790 (knit tops), combining view E and F cause I like to do my own thing.
As you can see, that’s some dark blue (darker than it looks in this picture by a little) jersey I got on sale. The dress I wanted to use is a lot more exciting.
I actually like the shape of the top on this dress- and until I tried it on today didn’t realize it fits me almost perfectly. I think I may cut it apart to use the neckline as a template. Or do something else with it. Who knows. I wanted to make a shirt out of this print entirely (or at least the bulk of it), but there just wasn’t enough fabric in the skirt.
But then I had a little dilemma. This is one of those multi-fashion patterns and I decided I didn’t like the neckline on the tshirt I was making.
After concurrence from my biffle I decided how much harder could it really be? Despite the fact that I’ve never really used (ok, completed) something from a pattern before. Luckily this change wasn’t too bad!
Sometimes I do silly things like make a decision before making sure it’s feasible. Like when I want to make brownies and have everything poured before I realize I don’t have any eggs. Well, this was kind of like that, because the pattern said I needed fusible interfacing for the F neck. Luckily, I had some random interfacing in a bag of stuff. It wasn’t fusible, but I ironed the pieces together and pinned them and it was good enough. Phew!
Make sure when you baste this that you have things lined up so that it lies flat. I had to rip my baste stitch out and do it again because something wasn’t laying correctly and it looked wrinkly. Not good.
Before I could attach this to the body piece, I had to learn something new- gathers. I’ve never done a gather in my life. Here goes nothing! Good thing I have this tomb of sewing knowledge on hand-
So making gathers was WAY easier than I anticipated. Cool. Learned something new today!
Once the gathers and interfacing are finished, you line up and pin the neck panel and body panel together with right sides facing each other.
Stitch them together. I had to go over mine a second time because part of my gather seam was peeping out a tiny bit. Then, you sew the front and back panel pieces together at the shoulders- I didn’t take a picture. I used a zigzag stitch on this part since it’s hidden and I wanted it to be stronger.
Next the body sides come together. I used a zigzag stitch on this one too.
This is about where I hit a snag. As I mentioned, it’s winter and I wanted this thing to have sleeves. Unfortunately, although everything else at this size of the pattern worked just fine (in fact was maybe a little big in some areas), I apparently have gigantic arms. Because when I started to work with the sleeves, it looked like this:
This had me a little stumped. I decided I had enough of hunching over my table all day and I would come back to it the next day. I came up with a different solution that I think worked out ok. Although I would have liked my sleeves to look like the picture. Oh well.
The armhole was still a bit bigger than the sort-of-sleeve I had created. I ended up turning this inside out again and taking a bit more off the sides. That got rid of some of the excess, but I still had a little gap- I sort of gathered it in the armpit where hopefully no one will notice!
The back of the neck gapes a little bit- almost like it needs a dart or something? It’s not as bad when the shoulders are sitting where they’re supposed to.
Ok I won’t lie. It’s not 100% finished- I still have to hem the bottom (you can’t see them, but it’s pinned up in this pic). I just HATE hate hate hemming things because it never goes smoothly for me.
Something I noticed on the very few examples of real people who made this out there in the blog universe, was that it sort of pulls in the sideboob/armpit area. I guess we’ll find out if that drives me crazy or not later. I think I might try to make my sister something with the same fabrics- she’s smaller so I should have enough- maybe a summer top with the plain blue and printed blue braided together for straps. Anyways, it’s not perfect but it’s not too shabby for my first pattern attempt.