It’s Cooking Season and We Have No Potholders. This Will Not Do.

Standard

Lots of things going on since my last post. We got a whole slew of new interns at work at the end of August, and I took on some more titles so things there have been pretty busy. Last month, we moved into a new apartment (half a mile from where we lived before, but nevermind that) and it is wonderful! I’m even getting into cooking since our new kitchen is so awesome. And I have a cool adult designed closet in my new craft room. Last night I finally got around to doing a project in there!

Sneak Peak of my new room:

Craft Room 1

This is all you get to see for now, because this is the area that looks nice. Off camera, there's a pile of clean laundry waiting to be folded and my cozy armchair really needs a shampooing.

I worked on two things last night. One of the aforementioned interns knows about my fledgling sewing skills and asked me to repair a dress of hers. My first request! (Well, for sewing.) Of course, at any given time I also have a running list of things I want to make, some in various states of half-done-ness.  One of those projects was some potholders out of scrap pieces. I have a really great new red casserole dish, but it’s pretty heavy and I need more than our single kitchen towel to pull it out- so I deemed this project now a necessity.

Scraps

Some scraps, plus a decent size chunk of felt and some potato bag batting.

But first… I fixed the dress.

Dress

Cute dress. I can see why she doesn't want to toss it even after multple repairs.

Eeeek.

Previous repair job. Under/over is not good for this type of area (near the hip), which needs some stretch.

Ripped

I ripped out the previous stitches and a bit of the straggling serger remnants that were getting tangled together.

Finished line

It's still not that pretty on the inside, but I used a zigzag stitch on stretch setting, so this should last a little longer, though it was hard not to lose a bit of the fabric- it's rayon and was fraying along the rip.

If that doesn’t hold up for more than a few wears, I volunteered myself to make it into a tunic with some short slits on the side.

Moving on. I finally have potholders! I saw this project awhile back– I can’t remember if it was in a book or somewhere else- which called for fabric scraps and felt to make some potholders. I had some cool scraps I thought would look nice together, and some bright yellow felt I got at the swap last year.

Felt and batting

There's my yellow felt and batting.

I used cotton batting that was designed for making microwave potato bags. I figure it should be able to hold up to some heat. Remember, no synthetics or you will have melted disaster all over your hand. And that sounds painful.

strips

The strips I had weren't straight, since they were scraps. I just sewed them together straight-ish and called it good.

You sew these right sides facing each other, then flip the little sandwhich open and put your next strip right side to right side and repeat. It is worthy of note that because my strips weren’t straight I lost more coverage than I had bargained for-  I had to add an extra strip to one of the potholders, lucky that I had another scrap that was long enough.

Sewn together...

Then I ironed it because it wasn’t laying flat.

So, this picture is all wrong. Let me explain why.

When you sandwich all your pieces together, your batting does not in fact go in the middle. Your scraps should be wrong side facing you, then your backing in the middle (in this case, my yellow felt), and then your batting behind that. I got the first part right, but then left the batting in the middle forgetting that when you turn it right side out, your middle will be the back. Then I had to unstitch a bunch. That’s the theme of my crafting career.  Ctrl+Z.

Once you've stitched all the way around, you'll turn it right side out. Just like if you were making a pillow.

Since I didn’t have directions– just this idea in my head that I saw somewhere one time– I didn’t have any instructions/reminders to clip corners and trim close to my seam so it wouldn’t be lumpy and weird. I did go back and trim my seams, but the corners still aren’t awesome.

Then I made the little loops for the corners so you can hang them if you have a hook (even though we don’t have one…).

All I did was take a smaller piece of scrap and iron it into a trifold, then zigzag stitched over the crease and made sure the fold was on the inside of the loop, not the outside.

You’ll place your little loop piece in the opening, and top stitch it closed as neatly as you can. Lastly, I decided to do some “quilting”  in white thread over the seams of my strips.

And then you are done!

It was kind of a fun way to use up some scraps. It took more time than I thought it would, but that’s just theme #2 of my crafting career.

No more using washcloths to take things out of the oven. Huzzah!

Advertisements

2 responses »

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s