Wow, it’s been a bit since I wrote a blog post! So much for my once a month self-imposed quota. It’s been a real busy summer.
The other day I decided I needed to craft SOMETHING to write about, and since a friend somehow coerced me over to Pinterest, I was in the land of crafting plenty.
Every time one of my interns wraps up their time at our office, I generally like to give them a thank you card. I thought it would be fun to make some handmade cards to use.
So in the land of craft-spiration I saw this fun (and easy but also messy) painting method and thought I’d give it a try for a fairly low-effort, low time commitment craft project.
Things you’ll need:
Paint (everywhere I read said Tempura…I used acrylic because that’s what I had in my craft stock)
Containers you don’t mind getting painty (this is why I save all those sour cream and cream cheese containers y’all!)
Newspaper or something else to protect your work surface
Cardstock or watercolor paper
At first I tried to use this takeout container lid because I figured shallow would be easier and not require as much bubbles and paint… however, it was so shallow it was tough to get the bubble coverage needed.
Also, be careful working on this project for extended periods. I’m not too sure if it was the acrylic paint or the scented bubbles, but I was definitely getting a bit of an “I’m high and I can taste chemicals in my lungs” feeling going on.
So I switched to these bad boys:
Lessons learned: The smaller the container, the better. The cream cheese container I used was the best one, because it was shallow but not too shallow, and not too wide. Bonus! Not only can I throw them away when I’m done because they were recycled to begin with, but they have their own lids- so when I got tired but couldn’t decide if I wanted to make more, I just put the lids on and called it a night.
In hindsight, I really wish I had opted to cover the table in junk mail because the bubbles bursting have quite a range for where the paint can land. My scissors are covered in paint.. and my camera might have gotten caught in the crossfire as well. Eep.
These turn out really cool after they’ve dried. I stuck mine at the bottom of a large stack of library books the next day (FULLY dry of course) to flatten them out because in the drying process some of the corners curled a smidge.